Team : NPA
Departure date : 01/31/2014
Supervision : Marcelo DIAS DE AMORIM
Domestic and mobile networks: measurements, analyses, and patterns
This thesis is structured around contributions in the areas of domestic and mobile networks. In the context of home networks, we deal with both home traffic characterization and application performance degradation. In the case of mobile networks, we are interested in understanding the relationship between wireless technology and contact opportunities among nodes on the move.
Part I: (Application performance optimization in home networks). The first focus of this thesis is to control the utilization of home network resources to optimize the performance of competing networked applications. The home gateway is in charge of connecting the home network to the rest of the Internet. Because it has an overall view of all the traffic coming from and going to the home network, it is the ideal point for application optimization. In this thesis, we propose a system that runs on the home gateway to detect performance degradation and optimize resource allocation to obtain the best application performance.
Part II: (Mobility trace breeding). We rely on plausible mobility, an algorithm capable of inferring spatial movement from contact traces and we propose a mobility trace breeding system that, from a single real-life contact trace, derives multiple contact traces inspired from the original trace. We check the conformity of our proposal by comparing the results of our breeding system with the original contact trace of a mobile network generated synthetically and show that the outcome of our system does correspond to the original trace.
Defence : 01/07/2014 - 14h - Site Jussieu 25-26/105
Jury members :
Yacine Ghamri-Doudane, Professor Université de La Rochelle [Rapporteur]
Nathalie Mitton INRIA Research Fellow [Rapporteur]
Farid Benbadis Research Engineer Thalès
Nadjib Achir Associate Professor Université Paris-Nord
Serge Fdida Professor UPMC Sorbonne Universités
Marcelo Dias de Amorim CNRS Research Director
- Ah. Reggani : “Domestic and mobile networks: measurements, analyses, and patterns”, thesis, defence 01/07/2014, supervision Dias de amorim, Marcelo (2014)
- Ah. Reggani, J. Whitbeck, M. Dias De Amorim, M. Fonseca, V. Conan, S. Fdida : “Mobility Trace Breeding”, Wireless Days, Valencia, Spain, pp. 1-3, (IEEE) (2013)
- Ah. Reggani, F. Schneider, R. Teixeira : “Tracking application network performance in Home Gateways”, 4th International Workshop on TRaffic Analysis and Classification TRAC 2013, Cagliari, Italy, pp. 1150-1155, (IEEE) (2013)
- Ah. Reggani, F. Schneider, R. Teixeira : “An end-host view on local traffic at home and work”, Passive and active measurements, vol. 7192, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vienne, Austria, pp. 21-31, (Springer) (2012)
- Ah. Reggani, F. Schneider : “Packet Capture on Home Gateways: Is it feasible?”, (2011)