Team : ComplexNetworks
Departure date : 09/30/2016
Supervision : Matthieu LATAPY
Co-supervision : MAGNIEN Clémence
Links streams for the modelling of interactions over time and application to the analysis of IP traffic
Interactions are everywhere: in the contexts of face-to-face contacts, emails, phone calls, IP traffic, online purchases, running code, and many others. Interactions may be directed, weighted, enriched with supplementary information, yet the baseline remains: in all cases, an interaction means that two entities u and v interact together from time b to time e: for instance, two individuals u and v meet from time b to time e, two machines on a network start an IP session from time b to time e, two persons u and v phone each other from time b to time e, and so on.
In this thesis, we explore a new approach consisting in modelling interactions directly as link streams, i.e. series of quadruplets ( b, e, u, v ) meaning that u and v interacted from time b to time e, and we develop the basis of the corresponding formalism. In order to guide and assess this fundamental work, we focus on the analysis of IP traffic. It is particularly important to us that we make both fundamental and applied progress: application cases should feed our theoretical thoughts, and formal tools are designed to have meaning on application cases in the most general way.
We apply our framework to the analysis of IP traffic, with the aim of assessing the relevance of link streams for describing IP traffic as well as finding events inside the traffic. We devise a method to identify events at different scales, and apply it to a trace of traffic from the MAWI dataset.
Defence : 09/28/2016 - 14h - Site Jussieu 25-26/105
Jury members :
Pierre Borgnat, CNRS/ENS Lyon [Rapporteur]
Olivier Festor, Inria/Telecom Nancy [Rapporteur]
Arnaud Casteigts, Université de Bordeaux
Marcelo Dias de Amorim, CNRS/UPMC
Matthieu Latapy, CNRS/UPMC
Clémence Magnien, CNRS/UPMC
Philippe Owezarski, LAAS
Véronique Serfaty, DGA.
- A. Wilmet, T. Viard, M. Latapy, R. Lamarche‑Perrin : “Degree-based Outlier Detection within IP Traffic Modelled as a Link Stream”, Computer Networks, vol. 161, pp. 197-209, (Elsevier) (2019)
- M. Latapy, C. Magnien, T. Viard : “Weighted, Bipartite, or Directed Stream Graphs for the Modeling of Temporal Networks”, chapter in Temporal Network Theory, Computational Social Sciences, pp. 49-64, (Springer) (2019)
- M. Latapy, T. Viard, C. Magnien : “Stream Graphs and Link Streams for the Modeling of Interactions over Time”, Social Networks Analysis and Mining, vol. 8 (1), pp. 61:1-61:29, (Springer) (2018)
- M. Latapy, T. Viard, C. Magnien : “Flots de liens et stream graphs pour la modélisation des interactions temporelles”, ALGOTEL 2018 - 20es Rencontres Francophones sur les Aspects Algorithmiques des Télécommunications, Roscoff, France (2018)
- T. Viard, C. Magnien, M. Latapy : “Enumerating maximal cliques in link streams with durations”, Information Processing Letters, vol. 133, pp. 44-48, (Elsevier) (2018)
- A. Wilmet, T. Viard, M. Latapy, R. Lamarche‑Perrin : “Degree-based Outliers Detection within IP Traffic Modelled as a Link Stream”, 2018 Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference (TMA), Vienna, Austria, pp. 1-8, (IEEE) (2018)
- T. Viard, R. Fournier‑S 'niehotta, C. Magnien, M. Latapy : “Discovering Patterns of Interest in IP Traffic Using Cliques in Bipartite Link Streams”, Springer Proceedings in Complexity, Complex Networks IX Proceedings of the 9th Conference on Complex Networks CompleNet 2018, Boston, United States, pp. 233-241 (2018)
- T. Viard : “Links streams for the modelling of interactions over time and application to the analysis of IP traffic”, thesis, defence 09/28/2016, supervision Latapy, Matthieu, co-supervision : Magnien, Clémence (2016)
- T. Viard, M. Latapy, C. Magnien : “Computing maximal cliques in link streams”, Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 609 (Part 1), pp. 245-252, (Elsevier) (2016)
- N. Gaumont, T. Viard, R. Fournier‑S'niehotta, Q. Wang, M. Latapy : “Analysis of the Temporal and Structural Features of Threads in a Mailing-List”, Complex Networks VIIProceedings of the 7th Workshop on Complex Networks CompleNet 2016, vol. 644, Studies in Computational Intelligence, Dijon, France, pp. 107-118, (Springer) (2016)
- T. Viard, M. Latapy, C. Magnien : “Revealing contact patterns among high-school students using maximal cliques in link streams”, 2015 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM), Paris, France, pp. 1517-1522, (IEEE) (2015)
- T. Viard, M. Latapy, C. Magnien : “Calcul de cliques maximales dans les flots de liens”, 17es Rencontres Francophones sur les Aspects Algorithmiques des Télécommunications (AlgoTel 2015), Beaune, France (2015)
- T. Viard, M. Latapy : “Identifying roles in an IP network with temporal and structural density”, Sixth IEEE International Workshop on Network Science for Communication Networks (NetSciCom 2014), Toronto, Canada, pp. 801-806, (IEEE) (2014)